Oakland, CA /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Cal/OSHA is advising employers affected by the wildfires that they must protect their workers if the working conditions include harmful exposure to wildfire smoke.
When outdoor workers are exposed to air quality that is designated "Unhealthy", "Very Unhealthy" or "Hazardous" by local air quality management districts, employers are required to provide filtering respirators such as masks labeled N95 and certified by the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH). These masks filter at least 95 percent of airborne particles but do not protect against gases or vapors. Frequently asked questions about N95 masks for employers and workers are available online.
The masks are available at the following County Emergency Operation Centers. Please refer to the Governor's Office of Emergency Services Wildfires webpage for updates.
- Santa Barbara County
- Buellton CVS (ask store staff), 2218 East Hwy 246 (8 am - 10 pm)
- Albertson's, 1018 Casitas Pass Rd.
- Goleta Valley Community Center, 5679 Hollister Ave. (1pm – 7 pm)
- Goleta City Hall, 130 Cremona Dr. (8 am – 5pm)
- Lompoc Home Depot, 1701 East Ocean (7 am - 9 pm)
- Santa Barbara
- Franklin Community Center, 1136 East Montecito St.
- Santa Barbara Public Library, 40 East Anapamu St.
(10 am - 7 pm)
- Ventura County
- City of Camarillo, 601 Carmen Dr.
- Clinicas Camarillo, 731 Paseo Camarillo
- Las Posas Family Medical Group, 3801 Las Posas Rd. #214 (M-F 8am-5pm)
- Fillmore Fire Department Station 91, 711 Sespe Ave.
- BH - Fillmore Youth & Family Clinic, 828 Ventura St. Suite 240
- Arroyo Vista Recreation Center, 4550 Tierra Rejada Rd.
- Moorpark Family Medical, 612 Spring Rd.
- Nordhoff High School, 1401 Maricopa Hwy.
(Look for the Red Cross vehicle)
- Ojai City Hall, 401 South Ventura St.
- Ojai Hospital, 1306 Maricopa Hwy
- Ojai Library, 111 E. Ojai Ave.
- Meiners Oaks Library, 114 N. Padre Juan Ave.
- Oak View Library, 555 Mahoney Ave.
- Oxnard College Gymnasium – Red Cross Shelter, 4000 S Rose Ave.
- Las Islas Family Medical Group, 2400 S C St.
- Ventura County Public Health-South, 2500 S C St.
- Ventura County Public Health-North, 2240 E Gonzales Rd.
- United Farm Workers, 920 South A St.
- Vons, 1291 S. Victoria Ave.
- Channel Islands Harbor Patrol,.3900 Pelican Way (8am-5pm)
- BH - Oxnard Youth & Family Clinic, 1911 Williams Dr. #150
- BH - South Oxnard Youth & Family Outpatient, 2500 S. 'C' St. Suite #D
- Mandalay Bay Women and Children's Medical Group, 2000 Outlet Center Dr. Suite #110
- Soliz Library (El Rio), 2820 Jourdan St.
- Oxnard Library (Main), 251 S. 'A' St., (M-Th 9am-8pm, Sat. 9am-5:30pm)
- Oxnard Branch Library (South), 4300 Saviers Rd., (M-Th 9am-8pm, Sat 9am-5:30pm)
- Oxnard Colonia Branch Library, 1500 Camino Del Sol #26
- Oxnard Service Center, 214 South 'C' St. (M-Th 8am-6pm, Alt Fri 9am-5pm)
- Oxnard Human Resources, 300 W. 3rd St. (M-Th 8am-6pm, Fri 8am-5pm)
- Oxnard Fire Department Administration, 360 W. 2nd St. (M-Th 8am-6pm, Alt Fri 8am-5pm)
- Santa Paula
- Santa Paula Community Center, 530 W Main St.
- Santa Paula Fire Department Station 82, 536 W Main St.
- BH - Santa Paula Youth & Family Clinic, 725 E. Main St.
- Santa Paula - West Clinic, 254 W. Harvard Blvd.
- Simi Valley
- Sierra Vista Family Medical Clinic, 1227 East Los Angeles Ave.
(M-F 9am-7pm, Sat & Sun 8am-5pm)
- Simi Valley Police Department, 3901 Alamo St.
- Thousand Oaks / Newbury Park
- Conejo Valley Family Medical Group, 125 W. Thousand Oaks Blvd (M-Th 9am-12am, Fri 9am-10pm, Sat & Sun 9am-5pm)
- Dos Vientos Community Center, 4801 Borchard Rd.
- Borchard Community Center, 190 N. Reino Rd.
- Goebel Senior Center, 1385 E. Janss Rd. (M-Th 8:30am-9pm, Fri 8:30am-5:30pm, Sat 12pm-4pm)
- Ventura County Fair – Red Cross Shelter, 10 W. Harbor Blvd
- EP Foster Library, 651 E. Main St.
- Beth Torah Temple, 7620 Foothill Rd.
- Barranca Vista Center, 7050 Ralston St.
- Museum of Ventura County, 100 E. Main St.
- Hill Rd. Library, 1070 S. Hill Rd.
- Saticoy Library, 1292 Los Angeles Ave.
- San Jon Yard, 336 San Jon Rd.
- City Hall, 501 Poli St. (entrance at back parking lot)
- Academic Family Medicine Center, 3291 Loma Vista Rd., Building 340, Suite 201
- West Ventura Medical Clinic, 133 W Santa Clara St.
- Ventura County Health Care Agency, 5851 Thille St.
- Ventura County Health Care Agency, 2323 Knoll Dr. # 414
- Government Center - Hall of Administration, 800 S. Victoria Ave.
- BH - Ventura Adult Outpatient, 4258 Telegraph Rd.
- BH - Ventura Youth & Family Clinic, 5740 Ralston St.
- CVS Pharmacy, 5900 Telegraph Rd.
- Ventura ADP, 24 E. Main St.
- Ventura DUI Programs - 5850 Thille St.
Additional information for employers and workers on working safely in conditions with heavy smoke caused by the wildfires, and worker safety and health during fire cleanup is available on Cal/OSHA's wildfire safety webpages.
Cal/OSHA, officially known as the Department of Industrial Relations' (DIR's) Division of Occupational Safety and Health, helps protect workers from health and safety hazards on the job in almost every workplace in California. Cal/OSHA's Consultation Services Branch provides free and voluntary assistance to employers to improve their safety and health programs. Employers should call (800) 963-9424 for assistance from Cal/OSHA Consultation Services. Cal/OSHA has also published a wealth of helpful guides for employers and workers.
Employees with work-related questions or complaints may contact DIR's Call Center in English or Spanish at 844-LABOR-DIR (844-522-6734). Complaints can also be filed confidentially with Cal/OSHA district offices.
Members of the press may contact Erika Monterroza or Peter Melton at 510-286-1161, and are encouraged to subscribe to get email alerts on DIR's press releases or other departmental updates.
The California Department of Industrial Relations, established in 1927, protects and improves the health, safety, and economic well-being of over 18 million wage earners, and helps their employers comply with state labor laws. DIR is housed within the Labor & Workforce Development Agency. For general inquiries, contact DIR's Communications Call Center at 844-LABOR-DIR (844-522-6734) for help in locating the appropriate division or program in our department.