Cincinnati, OH /PRNewswire/ - Imagine searching for an exit in a smoke-filled hotel or trying to leave a stadium after a terror attack.
Thanks to Zachary Green, a former U.S. Marine and firefighter, he invented photoluminescent technology. It ensures code-meeting exit signs glow without batteries, lightbulbs, electricity or testing. He sees the technology as "glow-in-the-dark on steroids."
"It's a game-changer for firefighters and those in high rises or large gatherings," says Green. He invented the technology after fighting a fire. Unable to see his fellow firefighters or exits, he wondered if he'd make it out alive.
So he founded MN8-LumAware, a firefighter-owned company that develops, manufactures and sells photoluminescent technology which emits light in darkness and has already saved countless lives. Over 65,000 firefighters in at least 25 counties now use the revolutionary technology.
"Code enforcement is ever-changing so I want to help get the word out that the latest regulations now require low level exit signs using our technology," says Green. "It's actually a mandate of the National Fire Protection Association and most state building codes."
LumAware has dozens of code-compliant products such as exit signs, handrail tape, evacuation maps and fire extinguisher signs that glow for hours without any energy source. Its illuminating liquid star nose product is placed on the edges of stairs and lights sports arenas, factories and hotel stairwells during power failures.
The company's firefighting division, Foxfire, is a firefighter life-saver. The products provide a bright glow that reduces disorientation and increases fireground accountability. Its strips can be placed on items such as helmets, uniforms, axes and extinguishers.
Kroger, the nation's largest grocery chain, uses Green's photoluminescent technology for store exit signs. A recent partnership with Home Depot Pro will expose even more to the life-saving technology.
"As a firefighter-owned company, MN8 is on a mission to save lives," Green says. He has already sat before Congress to explain the need for more stringent fire and building codes that mandate the technology.
He explains, "Last year the Atlanta airport went dark as electricity and the backup generator ceased to function. Panicked travelers had no lit signs to direct them to safety. The same thing happened at the 2017 Las Vegas Consumer Electronics Show and during the World Trade Center truck bombing. We want to do everything we can to make sure people don't have to endure such trauma."